Best Dog Food For Shih Tzus – Top 5 Products Reviewed
One sunny day, you decided to take your morning stroll and suddenly, you have come across with someone who takes with him a cute hairy little pooch and you just found your heart melting by the sight of it. Now, that’s how people usually describe their endless encounters with a Shih Tzu. Obviously, this dog breed attracts almost every person because of its loving appearance that promises to stay and follow you around. See? Shih Tzus are total sweethearts!
With a Shih Tzu, you don’t really have to worry about having an all-day companion but, getting this type of dog comes with great responsibility too and it all starts with what you feed to these pups everyday. Fortunately, this article will tell you all the basic things you need to know about the proper diet for your dog. Today, come read and know the best dog food for Shih Tzus!
What’s So Great About Shih Tzus?
There is so much more to Shih Tzus than meets the eye. Since ancient times, this dog breed is solely made to be a friend to someone. In fact, they are as if born to be comfortable to stay on people’s laps. If you still want to know more things about them, listed below are the great things that excel in Shih Tzus:
They Look Like Small Walking Mops – What is not to love about this dog’s cute size and furriness? A lot of people say that Shih Tzus look like walking mops around the house and it’s so adorable to imagine! Shih Tzu, or little lion in Chinese, can be your ultimate travel buddy since they are easy to carry around, friendly, and adaptive to their environment. Pet owners, who don’t like to hassle themselves and think that they are incapable of handling large breed dogs, choose Shih Tzus mainly because they are small and handy.
Great Level of Adaptability – Shih tzus can live in apartments literally. You might be thinking that it’s obviously given since this dog breed is small and can fit to live in small places. However, you need to know that not all small dogs can stay in compact places because they are highly energetic. With Shih Tzus, you can just provide even a simple personal space for them inside your home since these dogs can tolerate being alone, and handle various types of weather conditions as long as it’s not too hot nor too cold.
Also, Shih Tzus are perfect for novice owners. They are resilient and not really sensitive to mistakes unlike other dog breeds. This type of dog is known for its low-sensitivity, which means it can handle a noisy environment and inconsistent routine.
Friendly Dog Breed – Some dog breeds are too independent and distant because they have the tendency to display indifference to some people but their owners. But with Shih Tzus, your family and friends will be showered with affection too!
Shih Tzu is also known for being a kid-friendly dog who can handle tight hugs and screaming children around. Another good quality that this dog breed has is their friendliness towards other breeds as well. Some dogs attack and dominate other dogs but Shih Tzus, as much as possible, try to be friends with other pups too.
Shih Tzus Can Be Trained – This dog breed possesses intelligence that can understand simple and complex commands depending on the trainer’s patience and ability to condition them. These dogs have the potential to chew, nip, and play-bite, so it’s crucial to train them that it’s okay to gnaw on toys but not on people. Also, Shih tzus have a high prey drive, which means they see smaller animals as prey.
Having a Shih Tzu means having to deal with some hair on your clothes or in your house but unlike other dogs, Shih Tzus are a low-shedding breed, so the level of hair is not really stressful to deal with. This dog breed is low in drooling aspect, needs to be groomed from time to time since their hair can easily grow, and lastly, they have a calm energy level and a good amount of playfulness.
Top 5 Dog Foods for Shih Tzus
- An adult dog food made with highly digestible ingredients that are easy on your small dog's stomach
- Nourishing omega 6 fatty acids and vitamin E help promote healthy skin and a shiny coat
- Provides high quality protein to maintain lean muscle in small breed dogs
- Uses an antioxidant blend specifically for lifelong immune support in toy and miniature dogs
- Made with natural ingredients
Hill’s Science is one of the most famous brands of dog food you can find out there. Specifically made for small breed dogs, this science diet dog food is made with ingredients that are easy to digest even for your dog’s small tummy. This one is considered perfect for Shih Tzus since it contains vitamin E and omega-6 fatty acids to improve your pet’s skin and coat. Not just these, this product can also assist your Shih Tzu’s muscles by its sufficient protein content.
It’s crucial to buy products that use natural ingredients for the safety of your pet like this one here. You will be surprised that this dog food has an antioxidant mixture for lifelong support too! Which is why, most veterinarians recommend this science diet dog food for your pups since the manufacturer strictly ensures high quality ingredients for their pet food products. If you want to get the best food for Shih Tzu, then this one must be at the top of your list!
- Royal Canin Shih Tzu Adult dry dog food is designed to meet the nutritional needs of purebred Shih Tzus 10 months and older
- Exclusive kibble shape designed specifically for a Shih Tzu’s short muzzle and underbite
- Supports skin health with an exclusive complex of nutrients including EPA, DHA, and vitamin A
- Maintains a Shih Tzu’s soft, long coat with a combination of omega-3 fatty acids, omega-6 fatty acids, and biotin
- Helps reduce amount of stools and stool odor with highly digestible proteins, precise fiber content, and high-quality carbohydrate sources
Now, this one here is specifically made and formulated for Shih Tzus (ages 10-months and beyond) so that’s a great sign. With its cute kibble shape, this dry pet food meets the nutritional necessities of your dog as this contains complex nutrients such as DHA, Vitamin A, and EPA. The mixture of omega 3 & omega 6 fatty acids as well as biotin promote soft and long coat for your Shih Tzu. What’s great is this product can eliminate stool odor and reduce its amount because of digestible proteins, good-quality fiber content and carbohydrate sources.
If you are still doubtful, well, Royal Canin served people for nearly 50 years now with the help of pet breeders, vets, and experts in developing a high-quality formula for specific types of breeds. By reading the reviews of other Shih Tzu pet owners, you will know that this dog food is one of the best products you’ll ever come across with!
- Enjoy a lifetime of wellbeing: High quality proteins and wholesome grains are expertly balanced to deliver a complete diet packed with the nutrients your dog needs to thrive; No meat byproducts, fillers, or artificial preservatives
- Optimal energy and healthy immune systems: Antioxidant rich ingredients support strong immune systems, balanced nutrients promote optimal energy and guaranteed levels of Omega Fatty Acids ensure healthy skin and coat
- Whole body health: Supported by omega fatty acids, antioxidants, glucosamine, probiotics and taurine for a healthy heart
- Find the right food: Wellness offers a full range of foods to support your dog's specific needs, including grained and grain free options, high protein recipes and limited ingredient diets for dogs with food sensitivities
- Made in the USA using only the finest globally sourced ingredients, we prepare each of our diets in our own state of the art facility; We craft delicious natural recipes with wholesome, non GMO ingredients chosen for their nutritional benefits
One of the bestsellers in the market, Wellness Natural Dog Food contains no fillers nor any artificial preservatives added. This complete diet product can meet your Shih Tzu’s nutritional needs and this includes ingredients that are rich with antioxidants and omega fatty acids that promote stronger immune systems, soft skin, and healthy coat. Aside from these nutrients, Wellness pet food promises to give your lovely dogs probiotics, glucosamine, and taurine that make a healthy heart.
What’s good about Wellness pet food products is they measure the exact needs of different dog breeds from high-protein recipes, grained or grain-free choices, to dog food with limited recipes for sensitive ones. For good results, make sure to only feed your Shih Tzu the right serving size everyday.
- Contains one (1) 8 lb. bag of NUTRO ULTRA Small Breed Adult Weight Management Dry Dog Food with a Trio of Proteins From Chicken, Lamb and Salmon
- Our premium dog food kibble is made with high-quality ingredients and provides complete and balanced nutrition for small breed adult dogs in every bowl
- NUTRO ULTRA Dry Dog Food is made with high-quality protein and our blend of 15 vibrant superfoods, like coconut, chia, kale, blueberries, and other quality ingredients
- Made with no chicken by-product meal, corn, soy, or wheat, and no artificial flavors, colors, or preservatives
- NUTRO ULTRA Dry Dog Food is made with all-natural quality ingredients, sourced from a trusted network of farmers and suppliers
If you are concerned with your pet’s weight and diet, then let Nutro ultra dog food save your day! Especially made for small breed dogs’ weight management, this premium pet dog kibble provides balanced nutrition and good quality ingredients that feature ultimate protein from salmon, lamb and chicken!
What you will definitely like about this product is the natural ingredients used, and the mixture of 15 superfoods such as chia, blueberries, coconut, kale, and more. Your Shih Tzu deserves good nutrition, so might as well purchase a product that is safe and affordable at the same time.
- HIGH quality PROTEIN made with real CAGE FREE chicken, specially made for a SMALL BREED DOG; optimal amino acid profile for LEAN, STRONG MUSCLES
- Premium ingredients with added vitamins & minerals; fruits and vegetables as SUPERFOODS for hard-working ANTIOXIDANTS; fatty acid blend for SKIN & COAT
- Nutrient rich and HIGHLY DIGESTIBLE with PROPRIETARY PROBIOTICS that survive and thrive in the GI tract; at guaranteed levels
- FAMILY OWNED & run, MADE in the USA choosing ingredients from TRUSTED, SUSTAINABLE sources around the world; Call with questions 800 442 0402
- NO corn, wheat, filler; NO ARTIFICIAL flavors, colors, or preservatives added; Made with scientifically advanced food safety protocols
Last but not the least, let me introduce you to a product by DIAMOND NATURALS that gives a balanced and holistic diet for your cute little pups! Made with exceptional ingredients, this best puppy food for Shih Tzu is made with K9 Strain Probiotics that can improve dogs’ digestive and immune system for a healthy and active lifestyle. This is intensified with superfoods including chia seed, blueberries, kale, and pumpkin that are known to be the sources of essential nutrients like vitamins, antioxidants, minerals, proteins, and fatty acids.
Also, this one here comes from natural ingredients which means that it doesn’t possess any artificial colors, flavors, or preservatives. Lastly, this dog food is specifically made for dog breeds like your Shih Tzu which means that it’s highly digestive and fun to eat!
What flavor of dog food is the best for my shih tzu?
Today, manufacturers are good enough to make dog foods in different flavors. From steak to turkey, you can now have a lot of options to choose from. However, choosing the right flavor really depends on your Shih Tzu’s preference. For now, it is okay to experiment and try to observe what flavors your dog loves the most, as long as the product is safe and made with natural ingredients.
How often should I feed my dog?
You need to remember that the frequency of meals you give to your Shih Tzu will depend on their age. For puppies or dogs below 3 months, you need to practice free-feeding or the method wherein you will always have to make fresh food available for your Shih Tzu so they can eat anytime they wish to. For dogs 3-12 months old, 3 meals per day will work since you guys already passed the free-feed method. However, 2-3 meals will do for adults because usually, most of them prefer 2 meals per day only.
How much amount of dog food should I use?
This question doesn’t really have a concrete answer because there are lots of factors that need to be considered first such as the type of food and its quality, your pup’s health status, age, activity level, and metabolism. Therefore, the best thing to do is to look at the feeding guidelines of your chosen pet food product. Also, the serving size we are referring to here is per day and not per meal. This said, the amount of food should be in the bracket of 3/4-1 and 1/4 cups a day for every 10 pounds of weight.
What are the qualities of good dog food?
Inferior dog food products are detrimental for your pets, so you need to make sure that you only avail of high-quality ones. The best dog food for shih tzu must contain natural ingredients, no preservatives, by-product, nor any artificial products added. You can also look for added supplements like Omega 3 and 6 that are good for skin and coat, probiotics, antioxidants, and chondroitin or glucosamine for joint and bone health. Shih Tzus should also get food that is especially made for small breed dogs and highly digestive.
Should I feed my shih tzu wet or dry dog food?
Wet dog food is more appealing to dogs, but it’s not really beneficial for your dog’s teeth unlike dry dog food that also promotes healthier stools. Therefore, a dry kibble diet is the best option.
Getting a shih tzu is worth it. They can end your lonely days and be loyal as your friend at most times. Shih Tzus are not that complicated to take care of as long as you provide them a personal space, maintain their grooming standards, and offer them a great and sufficient amount of love and attention.
Of course, you will not be able to perform such things if you can’t find the best dog food for Shih Tzus first. If you want to make sure that you’re doing it right, read this article again and inspect the list of basic things and good products above!
You may also like