Pet owner fears for his dog’s life after he was poisoned by someone ‘trying to be nice’ in Glasgow park

0
Le propriétaire de l'animal craignait pour la vie de son chien après avoir été empoisonné par une personne (Picture: source)” src=”https://s.yimg.com/ny/api/res/1.2/EPkU7DHd5CxeiRV74acVCg–/YXBwaWQ9aGlnaGxhbmRlcjt3PTk2MDtoPTYzOQ–/https://media.zenfs.com/en/glasgow_times_uk_271/8654a4387b1894a67745efdata” “https://s.yimg.com/ny/api/res/1.2/EPkU7DHd5CxeiRV74acVCg–/YXBwaWQ9aGlnaGxhbmRlcjt3PTk2MDtoPTYzOQ–/https://media.zenfs.com/en/glasgow_times_uk_271/8654a4387b1894a7f65acb6ef7″>

Pet owner fears for his dog’s life after being poisoned by someone ‘trying to be nice’ (Picture: Source)

A pet owner feared for her dog’s life after claiming he was poisoned by someone ‘trying to be nice’.

Heather Irvine rushed her border terrier to Vets Now in Glasgow after eating a pile of raisins and chickpeas by the pond in Maxwell Park on Thursday October 27.

The food It was believed to have been left to ducks, but grapes and raisins are extremely poisonous to dogs and can have life-threatening consequences.

Glasgow hours:

The 43-year-old, from Pollokshields, fears she may have to start muzzling her kind and gentle dog on walks as it is not the first time he has been poisoned.

Last week she said he ate a chicken curry and friends told her they spotted two cooked lamb heads and raw chicken left at the park.

She had walked Dougal around 6 a.m., so she thought it would be safe to leave him off-leash, but now fears she would be forced to restrict his freedom.

Glasgow hours:

Glasgow hours:

Heather told the Glasgow Times: “Dougal is a bit of a scavenger for food on the pitch so if he finds something he’ll go get it.

“It happens all the time, last week someone left out a chicken curry but I don’t know what they think a duck is supposed to do with it.

“I had to take him to the vet for an emergency appointment because he had been poisoned by raisins left by someone, he was given medicine to be sick.

“People might think they’re being nice by leaving these foods, but it could be fatal or very serious for other animals.

“I’m at the point where I’m going to have to muzzle Dougal and not let him go, it’s a shame, he’s a good dog.”

Glasgow hours:

Glasgow hours:

The trip to the vet cost around £700 to ensure the animal, who is almost two years old, was poison free.

Heather has insurance but fears other pet owners will be seriously out of pocket if people continue to leave food behind.

She also worries that the food will encourage pests and vermin in the area despite her presumed good intentions.

Glasgow hours:

Glasgow hours:

She added: “They just feed rats and foxes, it’s not as useful as they think.

“I don’t know if people maybe want to avoid food waste for environmental reasons or are trying to care about animal welfare, but that’s not good.

“I know of another pet owner whose dog got very sick recently after eating raw chicken at the park.

“These vet trips are expensive, luckily I can afford insurance but not everyone else.

“I think it’s a question of education. People need to know what can happen by leaving food out.

Pet poisonings are one of the most common emergencies our veterinarians and veterinary nurses see, and statistics show that about nine in 10 of them happen while pets are at home. , according to Vets Now.

During certain holiday seasons, cases increase dramatically, often as a result of ingesting chocolate or cats and dogs eating foods infused with raisins, raisins, and currants. Antifreeze poisoning is another common emergency.

If you suspect your pet has been poisoned, immediately call your veterinarian or, after hours, the nearest veterinary pet emergency clinic.

Share.

Comments are closed.