Disclosing The Best Dog Food For Pitbulls – Full Guide, Top 5 Products Reviewed & FAQs
What is the best dog food for pitbulls? Answering this question is like answering another question – what is the most appropriate diet for a bodybuilder? Pitbulls are bulky dogs with impressive muscles. They love to train, work and play, so they obviously come with a bunch of requirements.
Just like other dogs out there, pitbulls also have specific health related problems. Some of them may even become fatal. Therefore, choosing high quality food based on your dog’s necessities is a very important decision – more important than for other breeds.
For most dogs, 25% protein is more than enough. The best pitbull food should have a bit more. Second, keep an eye for carbohydrates. Pitbulls are known for their appetite – they rarely chew. Therefore, they are likely to become obese if you fail to keep an eye on carbs – simply maintain a low carb diet.
Just like other breeds, pitbulls need some healthy fats as well – not considerable amounts though. Moreover, loads of dog food types come with decent quantities of fat. One source is usually enough, be it fish seeds.
Keeping your pitbull happy and healthy may seem easy, but this breed is not for everyone. The more you know about your dog’s nutritional needs, the easier it is to make an informed decision. So, what else do you need to know before deciding on food?
Pitbulls and their dietary requirements
Estimating the amounts of calories for a pitbull can be tricky. Keep in mind that dogs from the same breeds can be different – even dogs from the same parents. The best way to figure this aspect out is to get in touch with the vet.
However, most pitbulls are just under 45 pounds in weight. This is the optimal weight standard. At the same time, you should know the pitbull breed covers three different breeds – the American Staffordshire Terrier, the Staffordshire Bull Terrier and the American Pitbull Terrier.
Based on the average weight, a dog will usually require about 1,100 calories a day. If you have a senior pitbull, the calorie intake should be lower – somewhere around 900 calories a day. Super active dogs that get lots of exercises will need more energy – about 1,700 calories a day. Puppies come with different requirements.
Whether you consider Blue Buffalo vs Taste of the Wild or famous names like Pedigree vs Purina, keep in mind that more is not always better. Pitbulls eat like there is no tomorrow, so obesity is just around the corner. The breed is not prone to obesity, but an uncontrollable appetite can take your dog there if you fail to consider the diet. Such issues bring in even more medical problems in the long run.
Just like people, overweight pitbulls are prone to heart related problems, liver dysfunctions and diabetes. Furthermore, extra weight will add to the dog’s intolerance to hot summer days. All these problems can be prevented with the right diet and loads of activity – remember, pitbulls are powerful and athletic, so they love training.
Due to all these issues, there is a very fine line between overweight and underweight pitbulls. You could easily go in the opposite direction. Exaggerating with the food portioning could keep your dog underfed, so make sure you double check the weight on a regular basis.
Insufficient feeding will clearly bring in other issues as well – most of them are gastrointestinal. If you notice a radical weight loss, get in touch with the vet as quickly as possible.
In terms of macronutrients, keep in mind that such dogs require lots of protein. Whether you consider the best food for rottweiler, pitbull or other muscular dog, protein is essential and for a bunch of different reasons.
First of all, look at your dog’s muscles. A muscular animal must maintain the ass no matter what. Protein is the main fuel for muscles, hence the necessity of heavy amounts. Second, pitbulls are quite active. Active dogs require more protein than slow and chilled dogs, such as a Basset Hound.
Last, but not least, pitbulls are prone to various affections. Some of them can be fatal, hence the necessity of extra protein. On the same note, keep grains out of your dog’s diet too.
Now that you understand the nutritional requirements for your pet, what is the best dog food for pitbulls? What are the top rated products in commerce and why? Plus, what should you pay attention to when purchasing food?
What to look for in the best dog food for pitbulls
Buying the best dog food for pitbulls is not as easy as it may seem because they have a few specific requirements. High quality is a must, as cheap food will alter your pet’s athletic performance.
Protein is your first consideration. Protein sources will dictate the type of food you can get. It is a mandatory nutrient to build and maintain muscles, not to mention the energy they require to keep active. Most dog foods come with protein as a top ingredient, but stick to high quality only. Ideally, you should go for real lamb, fish, chicken or beef.
Pitbulls require at least 25% protein. More is better. You can easily go up to 40% protein without having to worry about anything at all.
Natural fats are just as handy for protein. Sure, pitbulls have an aggressive appetite and can get obese, but sticking to natural and healthy fats will prevent all these issues. Omega fatty acids are also helpful, especially as they help your pet’s fur and skin. Pitbulls normally have short hair, so such acids will mostly keep the skin healthy.
When it comes to the muscular mass, pitbulls do not require too much fat. But then, a bit of fat will be healthy for energy. Based on the ingredients, you may not really have to worry about fats. For example, if the main protein is based on fish, healthy fats are already there.
Carbs have the primary role to fill your dog up. Pitbulls do not require too many carbs, so it is imperative to opt for high quality sources. For example, sweet potatoes are great. They have lots of nutrients, but they also work as fillers.
Other nutrients are not to be overlooked either. Fruits and vegetables are rich in vitamins and minerals that will help your dog thrive. Simply put, the more diversified the list of ingredients is, the more nutrients your pet will get.
Things like blueberries (antioxidants) and carrots (eye health) are just as helpful.
What to avoid
Stay away from questionable ingredients that may alter your dog’s health. They are mostly used in cheap foods from random manufacturers. Their main role is to keep prices low. The price tag could be attractive, but your dog will not benefit from them.
- Sketchy proteins – by-products are harmful and heavily processed. They also have no beneficial amino acids. Pitbulls are less likely to benefit from them – in fact, they could suffer in the long run.
- Grains and corn – corn is to be avoided, as well as cheap grains. These are nothing but fillers. If you can see them on the ingredient list, keep looking. They cause digestive issues overtime.
- Additives – these are usually the chemicals you must avoid. You can find them in more varieties – some of them provide color, while others bring in flavors. They are not natural whatsoever.
Top 5 Best Dog Food For Pitbulls
- 7 POWERFUL HEALTH BENEFITS: These benefits include Skin & Coat Support, Digestive Enzymes for Better Digestion, Hip & Joint Support, Vision Support, & Cardiovascular Support, in an easy-to-feed flavored powder
- MORE PROBIOTICS FOR BETTER DIGESTION: Contains millions of CFU in every scoop
- BOOSTS IMMUNITY: By keeping your dog’s immune system in tip-top shape, you can help make sure your dog is protected from viruses, sickness, and infections.
- REDUCES SHEDDING, ICHING, & HOT SPOTS: Omega-3 and Omega-6 fatty acids, healthy fats that help relieve dry skin and keep your dog’s skin & coat looking smooth and shiny.
- ALL-NATURAL INGREDIENTS: 100% natural ingredients. NO corn, wheat, soy. NO artificial flavors, colors or preservatives.
The best dog food for pitbulls from Bully Max is ideal for more breeds. It has the optimal ingredients for skin and coat maintenance, a top notch digestion, joint support and cardiovascular health. Moreover, it is easy to feed – but your pitbull will not really care about it anyway, judging by its appetite. Digestion is significantly improved due to the millions of CFU in every single scoop – loads of extra probiotics.
Your dog’s immune system will not be overlooked either. This food will keep it in a great shape – no more viruses, random infections and sicknesses. Worried about shedding? Is your dog itching a lot? The high amounts of healthy fatty acids omega 3 and 6 will prevent such issues in the long run – excellent for the skin and coat.
Other than that, all ingredients are natural. There are no additives or preservatives. Everything is 100% natural. There is no soy, wheat or corn in this dog food. While suitable for a healthy weight and rich in protein, it could also make the best dry dog food for weight gain if your pitbull is underweight or rescued and in a bad condition.
- Contains one (1) 22 lb. bag of CRAVE Grain Free Adult Dry Dog Food with Protein from Chicken—for any size dog
- Inspired by the diets of their wolf ancestors, CRAVE adult dog food is made with real high-quality animal protein and the full meaty flavor dogs love
- Satisfies a dog’s natural desire for animal protein with real chicken as the first ingredient
- Supports a strong, lean body with 34% high protein
- Formulated with no corn, wheat, or soy and no artificial flavors, colors, or preservatives
Crave has brought in a bit of diversity in this package. You can get this type of food in more sizes – four, 12 and 22 pound bags. The biggest one obviously provides the best value for money. At the same time, it comes in two flavors – chicken and beef. Choose the right one based on your furry friend’s preferences or surprise your pet every now and then with a different flavor.
While not necessarily the best puppy food for pitbulls or the best puppy milk replacer, puppies can have tiny amounts too. Generally speaking, Crave’s best dog food for pitbulls is recommended to adults. It is suitable for other breeds as well, regardless of the size. As long as the dog is an adult, the food will work wonders. It is made with real animal protein for an intense flavor and lots of nutrients.
The main ingredient is real chicken. There is 34% protein in its composition, so it provides plenty of macronutrients for pitbulls. Obviously, there are no wheat, soy, corn, colors, flavors or preservatives in its composition – 100% natural. Carbohydrates are based on natural sources like peas, rather than grains – highly contraindicated in pitbulls. Simply put, it is formulated to deliver.
- Taste of the Wild ancient stream; with smoked salmon; real fish is the #1 ingredient; high quality and protein rich for LEAN, STRONG MUSCLES
- A combination of ancient, whole grains like Grain sorghum, millet, quinoa and chia seed which are naturally higher in protein
- Formulated to AAFCO and FDA requirements and considering the latest research, by a team with expertise AND experience in veterinary medicine, pet food nutrition, Formulation, Food science and food production
- Ingredients from TRUSTED, SUSTAINABLE sources around the world; made with no corn, wheat, filler; NO ARTIFICIAL flavors, colors, preservatives added
- Nutrient rich and HIGHLY digestible food with high levels of proprietary PROBIOTICS specific for the species and guaranteed, to survive and thrive in the GI tract for Overall health and wellbeing
Taste of the Wild is one of the front runners when it comes to choosing the best dog food for pitbulls. It is based on real fish as the main ingredient – salmon, more precisely. It is rich in protein and promotes a healthy diet for muscular dogs. You can get it in a few different sizes, with the 28 pound bag providing the best value for money – obviously, the more you get, the better the price will be.
In terms of ingredients, you do not have to worry about artificial flavors, preservatives or colors. There are no wheat, fillers or corn either. However, there are a few whole grains in its composition, such as chia seeds or quinoa. They are rich in protein, but they count as grains, so you might want to keep the serving size under control.
In terms of extras, this dog food comes with lots of probiotics. Their main role is to improve the gut health, as well as the overall wellbeing. They will work on the immune system too. The fish is supplemented with a bunch of superfoods – fruits and vegetables for even more flavor. Finally, you should know that you can buy this food in a different version – suitable for puppies only.
- REAL MEAT FIRST: Blue Buffalo foods always feature real meat as the first ingredient. High-quality protein from deboned whitefish helps your dog build and maintain healthy muscles. Plus they contain wholesome whole grains, garden veggies and fruit.
- FOR ADULT DOGS: BLUE Life Protection Formula adult dog food contains essential proteins and carbohydrates to help meet the energy needs of adult dogs, and features omega 3 & 6 fatty acids to promote a shiny coat and healthy skin.Calorie Content: 3,619 Kcals/kg, 377 Kcals/cup
- WITH LIFESOURCE BITS: This formula contains BLUE’s exclusive LifeSource Bits – a precise blend of antioxidants, vitamins and minerals carefully selected by holistic veterinarians and animal nutritionists, to support immune system health, life stage requirements, and a healthy oxidative balance.
- A NATURAL DOG FOOD: BLUE dry dog food is made with the finest natural ingredients enhanced with vitamins and minerals. BLUE contains NO chicken (or poultry) by-product meals, corn, wheat, soy, artificial flavors or preservatives.
- Contains one (1) 30 lb. Bag of BLUE Life Protection Formula Adult Dry Dog Food, Fish and Brown Rice
Blue Buffalo has built a serious reputation with its real ingredients. This food is based on real meat as the main ingredient. It is based on deboned whitefish, which is excellent to promote a healthy lifestyle and muscles. Other than that, the food is mixed with fruits and vegetables for extra nutrients, as well as some whole grains. It comes in more sizes, but you can also choose other ingredients as the primary sources of protein.
Blue Buffalo’s best dog food for pitbulls is suitable for adult pets only. It is not a good alternative for puppies. It comes with essential protein and carbs to meet the dietary requirements of adults, regardless of their size. It is great for other breeds too. On the outside, it will help your dog maintain a good looking fur due to the high amounts of omega 3 and 6 fatty acids. If you want to control your dog’s diet, this food comes with 377 calories per cup.
It is worth noting this type of food comes with the brand’s proprietary LifeSource Bits. Basically, your dog will get a beneficial cocktail of minerals, vitamins and antioxidants for a healthy lifestyle. The food is only made with 100% natural ingredients. There are no soy, wheat, corn, by-product meals, preservatives or chemicals in its composition.
- An adult dry food with 18 percent lower calories vs. Science Diet Large Breed dogs
- A light dog food with L carnitine to promote ideal body weight, support healthy mobility and a healthy heart
- Keeps your large dog satisfied between meals with high quality protein and natural fibers
- Nourishes your big dog's skin and supports a shiny coat with omega 6 fatty acids and vitamin E
- Made with natural ingredients
There are lots of Science Diet dog food reviews out there. It is one of the top rated brands on the market, but it has so many products that choosing the best dog food for pitbulls could be confusing. This variety is light and recommended to adults. It is dry food and comes with 18% less calories than other alternatives, yet it still has a good percentage of protein – great to keep your dog at the optimal weight.
The light food comes with L carnitine, which also helps in maintaining the ideal weight. It works on the cardiovascular system too, not to mention boosting the mobility. Your dog will be fully satisfied between meals due to the protein, but the natural fibers will also make your furry friend feel full. Furthermore, you should know all ingredients are 100% natural – no chemicals, preservatives or artificial colors. It is based on real chicken and has no wheat, soy or by-product meals.
Hill’s Science Diet’s food is likely to help your dog look and feel good too. It is rich in omega 6 fatty acids, which will promote a shiny coat and healthy skin. On the same note, the vitamin E in its composition has similar effects. Last, but not least, you can get the food in a few different sizes.
Frequently Asked Questions
Unless you are experienced with pitbulls, it is perfectly normal to have a few questions.
What kind of symptoms do allergic dogs have?
Allergies are pretty common in pitbulls. They can be allergic to a plethora of different things. Some pitbulls are born with allergies. Other pets can develop them in the long run. Pay attention to symptoms like sneezing, skin problems, hair loss or vomiting.
Can pitbulls be allergic to high quality food?
Yes, they can. However, the specific cause of an allergy can be difficult to identify. A specific test from your vet may reveal the culprit. Your pet’s diet should be adjusted accordingly then. Some pitbulls may have or develop allergies to various ingredients in their food, even if the food is qualitative and well rated. It does not mean the food is bad, but your pet is a bit sensitive.
What kind of problems can be fatal to pitbulls?
As hard to believe as it sounds, bloating can be fatal to pitbulls. It may not seem like a major issue, but it is. Known as gastric torsion in the veterinary world, the problem shows up if the stomach twists. At this point, gas can no longer be released – a common problem in large active breeds. Immediate veterinary care is mandatory.
The problem is even more common in pitbulls than in other breeds because of their incredible appetite.
Does raw meat make pitbulls aggressive?
This is only a myth. Raw meat will not make your dog more aggressive. However, some dogs are naturally territorial when eating. At the same time, raw meat may have bacteria that dogs cannot deal with, hence the necessity of specifically formulated food instead.
Are grains bad for pitbulls?
Cheap products will rely on grains as fillers – no nutritional value for pitbulls, but quite harmful overtime. If you can see corn or grains on the label, you should look for a different product.
As a short final conclusion, deciding on the best dog food for pitbulls can be tricky with so many options out there. While every breed has its requirements, things are different for pitbulls because of their appetite, energy levels and natural muscular bodies. All these things must be thoroughly maintained.
Luckily, there are a few good options from top manufacturers. They have great ratings, so chances are your pitbull will love them. Start with low bags though. Some dogs are picky and even if the food is extremely good for them, they might refuse it.
More importantly, keep an eye on the label and ingredient list. Stick to healthy natural sources of protein, as well as plenty of extras for more nutrients – fruits and vegetables. Opt for 100% natural ingredients as well.
You may also like